Japan Travel Visa – 6 Types Of Japanese Visas For Foreigners

The immigration departments of most companies around the world today require that foreign visitors apply for a visa in order to enter the country. Of course, there are exceptions: many countries have special arrangements with certain other countries which allow their citizens to travel domestically without a visa. However, usually such arrangements are valid for short stays only: longer visits require visas. Japan is no exception.

If you are looking for a Japan travel visa, you should educate yourself about the 6 types of Japanese visas. Depending upon the reason for your trip to Japan, you will need one of these types of visas in order to enter, visit/stay, and carry out certain activities legally while in the country.

The 6 types of visas are: temporary visitor’s visa, working visa, general visa, specified visa, diplomatic visa, and an official visa.

The first type is the visa-free stay. This is technically called a temporary visitor’s visa as the name implies. However, do not let the name fool you: the visa-free stay has a number of restrictions associated with it. In order to qualify for a visa-free stay in Japan, you need to be prepared to leave the country within 90 days after entering. Also, upon entry you must be carrying a passport that will be valid throughout your entire stay, and you must have in your possession a ticket back out of the country. This visa is valid for 90, 30 or 15 days.

If you plan to work while in Japan – which means earning money in any manner while you are there – you will need to apply for a working visa before you enter the country. According to the Immigration Bureau of Japan, the working visa is good for either 1 or 3 years. You must apply for your Japanese working visa before you enter Japan. This means that you cannot enter Japan on a visa-free stay and then convert to a working visa without leaving the country first.

Official categories for the working visa for Japan include: professor, artist, religious activities, journalist, investor/business manager, legal/accounting services, medical services, researcher, instructor, engineer, specialist in humanities, intracompany transferee, entertainer, and skilled labor.

It may be that your trip to Japan will have you staying there longer than 90 days but you do not plan to be earning money while you are there. Instead, maybe you plan to study or become involved in certain cultural activities while in Japan. Or, maybe you will be staying with friends, family members, or in a home-stay situation for longer than 90 days. If this describes your situation, you will need to apply for a general visa for your visit to Japan. This is good for either 1 year or 6 months (cultural activities), 2 years or 1 year (college student), 1 year or 6 months (precollege student), 1 year or 6 months (trainee), or 3/2/1 years or 6/3 months (dependent).

On the other hand, maybe you are married to a Japanese citizen, you are the spouse of a permanent resident in Japan, or you are a long-term resident. In this case, you will need to apply for a specified visa in order to stay legally in Japan. This is valid for 3 years, 1 year or 6 months.

Finally, if you are a diplomat or a diplomatic courier to Japan you will require a diplomatic visa upon entry into Japan. According to the Immigration Bureau of Japan, the diplomatic visa is only valid for the duration of the mission. The visa is valid for the duration of the mission. Similarly, if you work in a way that supports diplomatic endeavors in general, such as working as a technical or administrative employee who supports a diplomat, you will need to apply for what is termed an official visa. Like the diplomatic visa, this visa, too, is only valid for the duration of the mission.

A cautionary note: if at present your particular plans for your trip to Japan are not yet clear, you may be tempted to enter Japan using a visa-free stay as you keep your options open. This is fine, provided that you actually do leave the country within the specified 90 days and that you do not try to earn money while in Japan. However, if you plan to stay longer than 90 days or plan to work, do the wise thing and apply now for the appropriate type of visa. It could save you a lot of trouble later.

Consider applying for one of these 6 types of Japanese visas as you plan your upcoming trip and/or stay in Japan. For more information, visit the Embassy of Japan of Washington, D.C. website.

Australia Travel Visa Options

Congratulations! You’re flying to Australia! You’ll have the time of your life exploring the outback and relaxing in the beaches afterwards. But hold on a minute-have you secured your Australia travel visa?

All visitors-except for New Zealand residents-need a visa to enter Australia. Yes, there is more than one type; but in this article, we will cover only one: your Australia travel visa options as a tourist. Whether you’re visiting the Land Down Under for recreation or to see friends and family, these are the four visa options that are open to you.
ETA (subclass 976)

ETA is short for Electronic Travel Authority. It’s an option open to the passport holders of-at the moment-32 countries, including Canada, the U.K, the U.S, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, and most Scandinavian and European countries. If you’re a national of said countries, you can apply for your ETA from the immigration office to the cool non-refundable tune of $20, as service charge.

Or, you can get your ETA through a travel agent, for $25 on average. The ETA replaces the usual visa that is stamped onto your passport.

Tourist (subclass 676)

If you already have an ETA, you don’t need to secure a short-term tourist visa. But, what if you’re from a country that isn’t eligible for an ETA? What if your stay exceeds three months? In both cases, you will need to get a tourist visa. The standard costs $70 and allow a single entry for a stay of up to a year. You can use it within 12 months of issuance.

Sponsored Family Visitor (subclass 679)

Planning to stay with your family for a year? The Sponsored Family Visitor visa lets you do that. To be eligible for one, you’ll have to be formally sponsored by a permanent resident or an Australian resident.

Working Holiday Maker

You can apply for this visa only from any Australian diplomatic mission overseas. This is for

  • visitors from certain countries only.
  • visitors from 18 to 30 years old only.
  • visitors who intend to stay up to a year.
  • visitors who intend to work part-time.

Getting your Australian travel visa can be a breeze-if you know what to do. Make traveling easy by getting this part right before you hop to the world’s smallest continent.

India Travel Visa: An Easy Entry to India

India is a fascinating and effervescent country, with a huge span of culture and diversity. Many people come to visit this beautiful country every year for different purposes, including religious pilgrimage, tourism and business etc. All foreign nationals desirous of coming to India are required to possess a valid passport of their country and a valid Indian visa.

With few exceptions, there are four major requirements of getting a visa to India. Falling in submitting those required documents may result in a denied visa. Categories of visa depend on the applicant’s purpose of travel and maximum length of stay in the country. A tourist’s visa valid for 6 months, 1 year, 5 years or 10 years. Both student and business visa are valid for at least 1 year. Vital documents that need for your trip include photographs, passport number, visa fee and completed application form. One needs to be very sure to send all the important documents on time.

Application Form

Application form is the first step that comes in getting a visa to travel India. Indian Embassy and Indian consulates are the places to apply for your visa. This can be done same day or either applying via mail but this is bit longer process. The Consular Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs are responsible for issuance of Indian Visas of the foreign nationals for their visit to India for various reasons.


Visa application form needs two identical passport-size photographs (color, front facing, 2″ X 2″). Special attention need to pay to the requirements of photos like no glass should be worn. Other requirements are mentioned in the application from.


Foreign nationals who require Indian visa should have their own country passport with at least 6 months remaining beyond intended stay before expiration. Additionally, it needs at least two blank pages where they can stamp the visa.

Birth Certificate

Foreign nationals need to submit a copy of their birth certificate as proof which shows date of birth, parent’s name and nationality.

Proof of Address

Applicants need to submit a photocopy either needs a state identification card, current utility bill (water, gas, sewage and electric) and driver’s license to get the visa.

Visa Fees

Visa fees can be money orders to either the Embassy of India or Consulate of India to get visa. Visa fees are non-refundable and matter to change without notice. Duration of visa is desired by the Embassy/High Commission/Consulate reserves irrespective of the fees filled at the time of making application. Granting Visa does not talk the right of entry to India. It is a subject to the prudence of the Immigration authorities.

India travel visa can be extended by three months at the foreigner’s registration office in all the metropolitan cities in India, including New Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai. You as well can apply visiting with the Superintendent of Police at any District Headquarters. Foreign national required to get a tax clearance certificate if their stay in the country exceeds to 180 days. However, they also need to keep the bank receipts to show that the money has been changed legally.